]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

PARKINSN Home

PARKINSN  April 2000, Week 4

PARKINSN April 2000, Week 4

Re: PD Awareness Day / Joan Snyder, P.W.P., M.W.

janet paterson <[log in to unmask]>

Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 23 Apr 2000 11:51:13 -0400

text/plain

At 06:47 AM 2000/04/23 -0500, Joan Snyder <[log in to unmask]> wrote, in part:
>...After seemingly starting the last brawl on the list...

hi joan

i think "seemingly" was the operative word here
i don't recawl a "real" brawl atawl!

>you may not think that my efforts are very noteworthy...

aahhh, but I do...
so much so that i wanted to re-present your words
in as clear a fashion as i could think of
to help toot your horn a tad louder!

[but please forgive a little literary leeway]

to borrow a phrase
miracle workers are all around us
plain clothes fancy dress dont matter no whichaway

>One week from today, on Sunday, April 30, at beautiful Shore Acres Clubhouse
>in Chillicothe, Illinois, I have put together our 2nd PD Awareness Day.
>
>At noon, Kay Price - a storyteller from Pickle Soup Productions will start
off
>our afternoon of free fun, food, entertainment & information. She will tell
>children's tales with adult messages of people overcoming odds to succeed.
>
>Then we have Marge Bjorklund - a wildlife educator from Lakeview Museum,
>who will bring along her array of wounded yet healthy "critters" to
>allow folks to get up close & personal with hawks, owls, & other native
>Illinois animals.
>
>Marge will be followed by Mr. Gordon Snow - an area
>magician to wow us all with his sleight of hand.
>
>Next we will have the popular piano-man John Philips who plays everything
>from ragtime - standards - jazz & you never know who will show up to jam
>with him!
>
>To top off the entertainment - we will be treated to "Ready Steady Go", an
>extremely popular band who perform tunes from the Beatles & British Invasion
>with a mix of Chuck Berry, Hendrix, and other popular music from our
>generation. They will also have guest performers sitting in.
>
>The afternoon will be hosted by Gina Morss-a TV celebrity from WEEK-TV25.
>
>Food is being provided by Connie Hellman from A Matter of Taste
>catering, Sandwiches from Subway, Cakes from Betty Sue's Catering,
>Drinks provided by our local Kroger. In addition, Tom Kelly will be
>cookin' up brats & hot dogs, plus we will have a popcorn machine
>provided by Geiger's True Value hardware (who also made a large
>contribution in the form of dinnerware!).
>
>There will also be Doug Smith - The Balloon Man - working the crowd making
>splendid hats, toys, flowers etc. from his balloons!
>
>We will have a large table with information for & about PD, awareness
ribbons,
>my scrapbook & photo album, plus a box to collect donations for the
Parkinson
>Alliance (last year, I sent $1,500) and we will also be raffling off two
afghans,
>both made by PWP's.
>
>This entire event has  been paid for by donations from area businesses &
>by private donations so that I may offer it free to the public. The
>entertainers are working at greatly reduced fees or donating  their talents.
>
>What is great about this event is that it will be attended by 25-30 PWP's
>from all over the country wearing name tags which tell people that they
>are People With Parkinson's (PWP) or People Who Love a Person With
>Parkinson's (PWLPWP) (?)
>
>These wonderful friends not only help and support me, but also interact
>with folks and are a shining example of sharing, caring & brotherhood.
>
>Our local newspaper has already donated a 1/4 page ad and on Friday, I was
>interviewed at length for a front page story for this week's edition.
>
>On Thursday, Tom Kelly & I will make 2 appearances on TV-25 to promote our
day.

>Jane Scott, my artist friend, has made tons of eye-catching and colorful
>posters which are visible everywhere.
>
>I am taking this opportunity to invite everyone who lives in the area to
>come and share this day with us and, not to be blowing my own horn, but
>to tell you that just 1 person (with a little [lotta] help from my friends)
>can impact the public.
>
>All you've gotta do is to get out there & do something ...
>anything to make this disease go away.
>
>Also, for those interested: "Voices From The Parking Lot - Parkinsons
Stories"
>is well on its way to being published. This book is dedicated to our
list-dad,
>Don McKinley, and includes the works of 30+ People Living With Parkinson's
and
>has been compiled, edited & published by Dennis Greene, Margaret Tuchman
and me
>along with the help of countless people everywhere.
>
>We are pleased to announce that our Kickoff for our National Sales will be
>announced in NYC at a ceremony just before the National Unity Walk thanks to
>Margot Zobel & her cast & crew of heroes!!
>
>Sometimes, it's easy to think that nobody anywhere is doing anything,
>but believe me - there are people out here - trying in their own little
>ways to make a difference.
>
>Wishing everyone a Blessed Sunday no matter your relgious beliefs!!!
>
>Joan E. Snyder    48/10
><http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/snyder.htm>
>
>"Hang tough.....no way through it but to do it."
>           Chris-in-the-Morning (Northern Exposure)

janet paterson
53 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
613 256 8340 PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario Canada K0A 1A0