]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

PARKINSN Home

PARKINSN  April 2002, Week 2

PARKINSN April 2002, Week 2

Re: My husband's turning into the "Energizer Rabbit"

Dave Bergford <[log in to unmask]>

Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Apr 2002 00:10:39 -0500

text/plain

Dolores,
I have read the other responses to your e-mail, and agree with the comments.
The only thing I would like to add is on the topic of physical exercise.  I
was diagnosed 2 years ago at age 58.  Although I didn't have as difficult
time as you are having dealing with the medications, I do deal with pain
every day.  However, I have found that exercise is a great help in coping
with PD.  It not only helps in physical ways, but plays a key role in
maintaining a positive attitude.

I found it important to disregard what others are doing, and to work out
what types and amount of physical exercise are best for me.   I started
somewhat slowly, and that required patience (not easy for me).  There are
days it is really tough, but I find that I feel better if I exercise anyway.
In your case, it would not be necessary or desirable to try to equal the
pace your husband has set.  A  much less demanding routine would probably be
appropriate.  I would assume your husband would be supportive.  If you do
start an exercise program, it would be wise to consult with your doctor.

Dave Bergford
60 now / 58 dx./ 55 onset