Font:

LISTSERV Archives

PARKINSN Home

PARKINSN  October 2002, Week 1

PARKINSN October 2002, Week 1

Re: New to PD

"Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD" <[log in to unmask]>

Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 5 Oct 2002 13:50:56 -0400

text/plain

Maggie Mauney wrote:
> Thanks to all of you who replied to my recent email to the list.  I'm still
> trying to come to terms with my diagnosis, and was only diagnosed last week,
> so I have many questions on what my future holds.
>
> I'm 52 years old, and am in terrible health--I'm diabetic, have had 3 heart
> attacks, have severe osteoporosis, and now PD; I guess I'm expecting to die
> suddenly any minute now.
>
> I still have to try to work, since I've been told I don't qualify for
> disability until I'm unable to work for 12 months.  I'm a cashier at a
> grocery chain, and the tremors and difficulty walking are definitely
> interfering with my work.  I live alone in the country--driving is difficult
> now--I have problems getting into and out of the car, and if I drive for a
> good while, I get dizzy and disoriented.  My family is not nearby, and it's
> difficult for any of them to understand my limitations and my fears.
>
> I do, however, live just a few minutes from Duke University Medical Center,
> and from University of North Carolina Hospitals, so I have a good referral
> network close by.  I want to learn more about what to expect, and will be
> following the posts on the list to get some suggestions about how to manage
> better.  I will probably buy a cane to use for walking--with my severe
> osteoporosis, I worry about breaking bones when I fall.  I will try to
> discuss my concerns with my neurologist--though he has a very hectic
> practice and is always quite rushed.
>
> Thanks for the links for more information.  I will definitely check them
> out.
>
> Maggie Mauney

Dear Maggie,
With diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis, and PD, you have very real
concerns, and if your doctor hasn't already done so, s/he should refer
you to a registered dietitian for medical nutrition therapy.

You may qualify for disability -- a gentleman with PD has generously
compiled information regarding SSDI for people with PD on his website:

Parkinson's, SSDI, and you:  Social Security Links with the Person with
Parkinson's in Mind

http://users.adelphia.net/~firingpin/ssdi.html

For faster loading, click on the little white "building icon." On the
next screen, some browsers may show a vertical row of "red lights" with
text next to them; other browsers may show the text farther down the
screen; be sure to scroll to the bottom of the screen.

I would certainly consider this, and would also ask other listmembers
about their experiences -- some have been very successful!

If you are near Raleigh, here is the name of a dietitian who will work
with people who have PD, and I have promised to help her at need:

Barbara Ann Hughes, PhD,RD,LDN,FADA
4208 Galax Dr.
Raleigh, NC 27612-3714
919 787-2949