Fw: $120 ,000/year cost of nilotinib

Rayilyn Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Oct 2015 16:36:09 -0700

text/plain

Carrie Scott:

How can you fulfill your mission of “caring and curing” at $120,000 a year drug cost?

From: Rayilyn Brown
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 4:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: Ming-Jai Liu ; parkinsn ; Shirley S Knox
Subject: $120 ,000/year cost of nilotinib

I just learned of the dramatic and promising results of your cancer drug for Parkinson’s patients.

I also learned it costs $10,000 a month.

The drug’s developer,   Dr. Brian Druker,  received a taxpayer funded NIH grant to develop it.

Why does Novartis  charge  $120,000 a year for this drug?

Would’t  Novartis make a  big profit  if  millions of people could actually afford it?  Parkinson’s is  not a rare disease.

There  is also a big market in Alzheimer’s and I understand there are going to be trials with 2 cancer drugs with other neurodegeneral diseases besides PD.

A response would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Rayilyn Brown
Past Director AZNPF