CASLL-L May 1996

Re: the Hecla experience

Susan Drain <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 7 May 1996 12:59:59 -0400

text/plain

It was an excellent experience;  the snowdrifts were three feet deep
along the lighthouse trail, but as long as you went before 7:30 am
you could (mostly) walk over the crust.  Not always, of course, which
led to a trepidatious tramp, or a perilous perambulation.  I found it
not dissimilar to cruising the web (for which I have always though
cruising entirely too carefree a term for the cautious way in which I
get from stepping stone to stepping stone across the information
flood.)  One misstep and you're plummeting into a dead-end node, like
Alice down the rabbithole....

Conference organization was impeccable; papers and
discussions thoughtprovoking; talent night ineffable.  I quite liked
having it on a little earlier than we've sometimes had.  I loved the
sunshine, hot on your skin, and the lake-winds breathing ice by
contrast.

Many thanks to all who made it happen.

Cheers,
Susan