]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MICHAEL-L Home

MICHAEL-L  August 1996

MICHAEL-L August 1996

Re: Anyone interested in Oracle DB for teaching

[log in to unmask] (Derek McCammond)

Tue, 27 Aug 1996 08:13:39 -0400

text/plain

Dave,
        As a member of the Academic Computing Advisory Committee I would
have expected you to work towards change in a more constructive manner.

                                Derek McCammond

>I've been investigating an educatonal licenses for the
>Oracle Database package.  It turns out that Oracle has a
>fairly generous package that provides educational access
>to almost all of their software.  See details below.
>
>ANYONE INTERESTED IN FORMING A CONSORTIUM TO GET THIS
>SOTWARE AT UofT, please identify yourselves.
>
>Dave Wortman, Department of Computer Science
>[log in to unmask]    978-6055
>
>P.S.  If you are wondering why I'm doing this instead of
>UTC Licensing folks, it's because they don't have a clue
>about educational licenses for Oracle and the commercial
>license they were trying to sell me would have cost about $40K.
>

>GORY DETAILS GORY DETAILS GORY DETAILS GORY DETAILS GORY DETAILS
>

>Oracle Educational Institution Program License Agreement
>
>Cost is C$5,000/year for unlimited users
>
>Products included:
>        Oracle Database Servers (Workgroup and Enterprise)
>        long list of Oracle database options including
>                distrubted and networking
>        Personal Oracle, Oracle WebServer,
>        {Developer,Designer,Discoverer,Programmer} 2000
>        Oracle Power Objects, SQL*Plus, Procedural Builder
>
>Software is available on all hardware/OS platforms supported by Oracle.
>
>The license allows for use "solely for non-commercial classroom
>and educational purposes provided that such use excludes the
>Licensee's own internal data processing operation".
>Educational use includes use in research (e.g. graduate theses).
>
>We're allowed to make unlimited copies of the programs and documentation
>for the purposes cited above.
>
>License includes "Bronze" level support (whatever that means).
>
>Fairly standard set of conditions to protect their intellectual
>property rights.  There is a restriction on "disclosure of results
>of any benchmark tests of the Program to any third party without
>Oracle's prior written approval."
>

>OBLIGATORY WEB PAGE REFERENCE
>
>http://www.oracle.com/

         Office of the Vice-President & Provost - University of Toronto
        Simcoe Hall, 27 King's College Circle, Toronto, Ontario  M5S 1A1
                  Phone: (416) 978-3870 / Fax: (416) 971-1380