Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

PARKINSN Home

PARKINSN  November 1996, Week 2

PARKINSN November 1996, Week 2

Re: Children coping with a parent with Parkinson's

will johnston <[log in to unmask]>

PARKINSN: Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network

Tue, 12 Nov 1996 11:51:27 -0500

text/plain

At 10:13 PM 11/10/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I am trying to locate families where there is a parent with young onset
>Parkinson's disease and young children (under the age of 10).
>
>My husband is 50 years old and was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease 3 years
>ago. We have four children ages 21, 20, 4 and 1. We consider the two older
>children to be adults and they have been fully able to understand and share
>in the discussions about my husband. So far, our 1 year old is too young to
>be too aware of the situation. However, our 4 year old daughter has had a
>very difficult time dealing with my husband's illness. She doesn't
>understand why it is her daddy who had to get this, why her daddy can't carry
>her like he used to, why her daddy is so tired. She also firmly believes
>that all the other boys in her daycare will get Parkinson's when they become
>daddies.
>
> It would be very helpful to our family to be able to communicate with young
>families who are coping with Parkinson's. It would be particularly great to
>meet families near our area (Princeton, NJ). My 4 year old would benefit
>greatly by meeting other children who have a father or mother with
>Parkinson's disease.
>
>Sincerely, Janice Wherry
>Dear Janice,

 This is a note to follow the e-mail I sent you earlier. The best person to
contact in your area is Barbara Verb, 908-745-3114 -- or Hedy Weinstein at
745-7520. I was in New Brunswick this past Thursday-Friday. There is a
monthly meeting of the younger group
on the 3rd Thursday at 7:00 p.m. in the Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
[located just SW of the AMTRAK station off 27S in New Brunswick] auditorium.
The Nov 21 meeting has a MD talking & demonstrating Tai Chi. There is lots
of chit-chat which to many is worth far more than the formal presentation.
WILL JOHNSTON 4049 OAKLAND SCHOOL ROAD
                SALISBURY, MD 21804-2716
                410-543-0110
Pres A.P.D.A. DelMarVa Chapter
63 Dx1991 Symptoms 1971

+ +
+ Repeal the 23rd Amendment before 2000 +
+ +