LISTSERV Archives

PARKINSN Home

PARKINSN  January 1997, Week 2

PARKINSN January 1997, Week 2

JUST CALL ME "DISABLED"

"Stan R. Houston" <[log in to unmask]>

PARKINSN: Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network

Fri, 10 Jan 1997 13:07:06 -0500

text/plain

Dear Bernard, Jack and Jeannette, Jim, Kathy, Barb "Lil Honey," Dennis, Dale,
Kemora, Joao Paulo, and Gaylon:

Many thanks for your responses and words of encouragement, both public and
private. The Network is the first experience I've ever had with a group like
this. You're incredible, the way you rush to a distress call from a fellow
Parkie.

Barb: I been on this Network for about three months, and you continue to
amaze me. I'm a professional writer, and you often put me to shame. Where did
you learn to write like that? You have a distinctive style and "voice" that I
believe would be dynamite in a novel.

All of you will be pleased to know that reality and common sense finally hit
me on Thursday. For years, I've had this very specific fantasy: Retire early
and "work" every day writing novels and short stories. (I wrote three novels
in my spare time over an 18-month period four years ago.) I put the word
"work" in quotes because writing fiction is fun. And I plan to have a bundle
of fun from this point forward. Maybe the extra time (and the removal of the
job-related stress) will be just the right ingredients needed for me to
produce a marketable manuscript. There is nothing I would rather experience
than seeing my name on at least one novel before I die. But, hey, let's not
slide into a discussion about death. Just what I need to start my weekend.

Thanks again for your support. Hope that someday, somewhere, somehow I will
have the joy and privilege of meeting all of you in person.

Stan Houston
"The Writer from Texas"
Cat Spring, TX 78933
(409) 992-3402