LISTSERV Archives

PARKINSN Home

PARKINSN  July 1997, Week 1

PARKINSN July 1997, Week 1

Re: A question

Ken Becker <[log in to unmask]>

Parkinson's Information Exchange <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 Jul 1997 19:38:29 -0400

text/plain

Diane, my dad is older than yours (80) and has some really bad episodes like
you describe. He'll be convinced he is on a ship or a submarine, he did build
submarines during WWII, and he has been on ships many times, so he has a good
frame of reference. Sometimes he is just using the wrong word to describe
what he needs or wants. A long time ago he was refeing to the air
conditioning vents in the kitchen. I was thinking he was talking nonsense,
but he was on target. If the kitchen vents are open too far, their is too
little cool air in the room he spends the most time in, and he gets too hot.
By the way, we got him a pair of floor fans, that we aim towards him, and set
on low speed and he is comfortable.  Before they would set the air cond. low
and mom would freeze, and he was still too hot.  I believe from what I have
read here, that the halucinations can be almost 100% controlled with proper
medication, given at the right times. I will leave the details to the
Neurologists, and you.  Ken B