Hi Inkshedders: Thought this call for papers might interest you, not least
in regards to the "marketization of education." Please pass this info. on
to any interested parties (and/or forward to relevant lists). Thank you.
Young People's Press
YOUNG PEOPLE'S PRESS PRESENTS:
YOUTH IN A CHANGING WORLD. THE SECOND ANNUAL WRITER'S CORNER CONTEST
FOR YOUTH 14-24.
YPP invites young writers to submit original articles of 500-700 words on
ANY of the subjects listed below. A panel of judges will pick the winning
submissions from each category. TWO GRAND PRIZE WINNERS will be selected.
YPP reserves the right to submit entries to various publications. Only
entries with a stamped, self-addressed envelope will be returned.
Naomi Klein, Toronto Star columnist
Avi Lewis, Host of New Music, CITY-TV
Rinaldo Walcott, Assistant professor of Black North American Culture,
Division of the Humanities, York University
Kyo Maclear, Independent writer, editor and visual artist
Prizes awarded by:
SONY Canada's Wonderland
The Gap Toronto Argonauts
1. THE CULTURE OF DIFFERENCE - Stories of tolerance or intolerance
(racial, religious, etc.)
2. SEX, SEXISM & SEXUALITY - Honest opinions about a controversial subject.
3. MEDIA MIND - TV, movies, music & advertising talk to you. Here's your
chance to talk back.
4. CHANGING TIMES - Do you have a future? Does the planet earth? What
about the economy, war, overpopulation, pollution? Where will
you/we be in ten years?
5. THE SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS - Life for youth can be very hard. Describe
some of the challenges you and your friends face.
6. HAVING A BLAST! - Tales of extreme sports moments (personal or
professional), recreation (from the great outdoors to the city
streets) or just hanging out. Youth culture explained by the
people who live it.
7. GROWING UP, FAST! - Stories from your childhood, in Canada or
8. WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND? - Your opinions on ANYTHING. Speak out!
Entries submitted to Brian or Michael at Young People's Press, 110
Eglinton Ave. W., Suite 200, Toronto, M4R 1A3 Tel: (416)484-4570 Fax:
(416)484-8173 E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
E-mail entries are preferred. Handwritten entries must be legible. Please
include your name, address, phone number and age.
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES: SEPTEMBER 5, 1997