]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

PARKINSN Home

PARKINSN  January 1998, Week 1

PARKINSN January 1998, Week 1

Re: Invisibility/WCSH-TV/Anyone want to join me?

Ivan M Suzman <[log in to unmask]>

Parkinson's Information Exchange <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Jan 1998 20:12:51 -0500

text/plain

^^^^^^WARM GREETINGS  FROM^^^^^^^^^^
Ivan Suzman  48/10         [log in to unmask]
Portland, Maine   land of lighthouses  32   deg. F freezing rain
Dear friends,

Does anyone want to be on a TV show on Parkinson's, in Portland, Maine,
USA?? Read on, folks, but first, let me thank Jim Slattery of Australia
for sharing his pain and anger at our Invisibility........I have quoted
him below....

Somehow I found myself nodding and saying yes,yes, yes, this stuff
happens,  to every insensitive act of avoidance that Jim has experienced
and identified for us.  Wow, Jim, you REALLy got me in my gadfly
sensitivity spot!

I HATE being marginalized and excluded and ignored and assumed to have
dementia , especially by YOUNG folks my age-I'm 48-well, for PWP's that's
hardly more than a pup.  I HATE being underemployed or unemployed and
left like flotsam and jetsam on the waysides of the "busy" world out
there.

As if WE PWP's aren't "busy!"
Or adequately intelligent.

C'mon, world, WAAAAAAAAAKE UP!

Anyway- Diane Atwood  of Channel 6 - NBC-TV -called me yesterday.  It was
on the answering machine.  I responded today and GUESS WHAT FOLKS??  She
wants me to be.on the WCSH--TV show she is preparing on Parkinson's. It
allows 3 guests.

Oh, dear, Ivan the gadfly comes OUT of the closet to put a FACE on PD!!
SO I said "yes" to her.

I told her all about the List--she was so excited by the end of our talk
that she even asked me for my (unprepared) thoughts about the SCRIPT of
the show.  So I rattled on about brave folks like Romona, and the April
PD Awarenss Month proclamations,  the pitfalls and limits of pallidotomy,
and the struggles we have with  Mirapex, and the ROLLER COASTER of hope
and depression we ride. And of course, the UDall money-HOW would YOU
spend  100 MILLION dollars to cure and treat PWP's and to help their
families???

And, Diane was absolutely fascinated with the List.  Now here is an
opportunity for List Power.

ANYONE on the LIST want to fly to Maine and join me?

Ivan the gadfly