Font:

LISTSERV Archives

PARKINSN Home

PARKINSN  October 1999, Week 2

PARKINSN October 1999, Week 2

Re: Plastic on car seat

Camilla Flintermann <[log in to unmask]>

Parkinson's Information Exchange <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:40:26 -0400

text/plain

Bonnie Cunningham wrote:

>While this method may make it easier to get in and out of the car, it can
>also add a danger since the person remains sitting on the plastic during
>the trip. The plastic bag can cause potential danger if the driver hits
>the brakes harder than usual.......the person sitting on the bag may slide
>forward (not bending at the waist, but essentially sliding under the seat
>belt).  So, if you choose to use this method, do so with extreme caution!
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Bonnie Cunningham, R.N.
>Patient Services Director
>NPF

Thanks for the warning Bonnie.  Peter uses a smaller piece of heavy gauge
palstic, just big enough to cover the car seat, to help him turn after
sitting down. He also reaches over with his left hand and grasps the
steering wheel, to help turn around.  I hadn't thought of this possible
danger--even with shoulder belt ?  Perhaps a method of fastening the
plastic to the seat somehow would help avoid the problem?  Our upholstery (
with a low pile) doesn't lend itse;f to easy movement!

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 81/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for
                        Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "