LISTSERV Archives

PARKINSN Home

PARKINSN  October 1999, Week 2

PARKINSN October 1999, Week 2

PLEASE READ NOW: 20/20 AND ADVOCACY

Charlotte Mancuso <[log in to unmask]>

Parkinson's Information Exchange <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 Oct 1999 01:52:28 -0700

text/plain

Hi,

The segment with Joan Samuelson and Arlen Spector on 20/20 aired last night
at 10:00.  I THINK IT WAS AWESOME!!  Joan Samuelson was great, and has done
so much for furthering funding and awareness for PD!  Yet, this never would
have happened if it weren't for MJFox, and that ties in with one message of
the segment: why are celebrities necessary to get national and political
attention; why isn't need driving prioritizing funding for research.

The other  focus was on the unfair disparities in spending across the
disease groups. When they interviewed Sen. Spector, they really  challenged
him pretty hard;  he was obviously uncomfortable,  he stammered,  and
couldn't come up with answers for Stossel(sp?), the 20/20 interviewer. In
the end, Spector, who seemed to think he'd be given credit for his support,
started back peddling, once he realized, that instead, he was taking the
heat for embarrassing criticism of the funding process, and so he placed the
responsibility on the NIH. (If he or most any politician can take the credit
for something, then it's their responsibility and power that prevailed; if
there is embarrassing criticism and heat for it, and there was last night,
then it's not in his power or responsibility, it's some other entity's.)

I'm very glad the Chairman of the Appropriation Committee, if not Spector
personally, had his "feet held to the fire," and about time too.  At any
rate, this is my feeling and immediate impression of the show; it goes
without saying that you are welcome to disagree.

Let's all remember how long Joan Samuelson and others have been fighting
this outrageous, frustrating political situation without MJFox, and what
they are once again enduring with this maddening political process!! Let's
give kudos!

                         HEAR HEAR, JOAN, YOU HIT A
                         HOME RUN!!

                              Thank you Joan,
                              MJFox, PAN, et
                              al.

Note to locals on list:  I taped it, and if some of you  didn't see it, I
can try to show it here soon, or if someone can do it conveniently, please
come forward.  (It's a hassle for me to reorganize my TV/VCR.)  Let me know
right away; I feel it needs to be seen now, since we have to start pushing
on the House of Reps. and the Senate to pass an acceptable version of the
bill that funds the NIH.  I'll be getting an action alert from PAN Tues.,
and will send it out right away. Please make those calls, and make this a
priority for just a little while longer.  Thanks, and once again, sorry for
the nagging.

Regards,

Charlotte