Shedders of ink arise, a new millennium is upon us, a new era of love and
laughter, a time to distinguish the important from the merely urgent, a
time to
prepare ourselves grace-fully for the glorious (but not overly serious)
shedding of ink on Bowen, for the 18th coming, for Inkshed 2000.  (Yay,
hooray!)

Fortunately, the deadline isn't until 14 January, so you have some ten days
grace tyme.  We look forward to the inspiration that shall descend upon us
with
your proposals.

May you have a healthy, happy, and fulfilling new century.  See you on (well
actually, slightly off) the west coast in the spring.

> To read the pretty version of the Inkshed call--and to get the proposal
> form--visit
>

> <http://www.sfu.ca/writing-centre/Inkshed2000.htm>www.sfu.ca/writing-centr
> e/Inkshed2000.htm
>
> or check the CASLL/Inkshed site for a link.
>
> To read an okay version of the call, open the attachment--but you'll still
> have to get the proposal form off our web site or out of the forthcoming
> newsletter.
>
> If you are having trouble getting at either of these versions, the words of
> the call (probably with formatted deleted or mangled follows----you can get
> the proposal form out of the most recent Inkshed newsletter or, with the
help
> of a friend, off our web site.
>
> Inkshed 2000's email address, which we're going to start checking now that
> the new century has arriven--is [log in to unmask]
>
> We look forward to greeting you at Bowen Island, BC (where the food is no
> longer from the 50s).
>

> The Simon Fraser University Writing Centre
> invites presentation proposals for
> Inkshed 2000
> 11-14 May at Bowen Island, BC
>
> Resisting Teaching
> (in and out of the classroom)
>
> Whether this is the first Inkshed of a millennium or, for the arithmetically
> precise, the last Inkshed of the old millennium, it seems a good moment to
> look back in order to look forward retrospectively.  Our theme is “Resisting
> Teaching,” which in its various senses has been a theme in many Inksheds
> past.  It seems to us  a wonderfully ambiguous theme, totally appropriate
for
> Inkshed 2000, and we hope you will each spin it in ways that work for you
> where you work and live.  In and out of the classroom; reading and writing;
> literature and literacy; kindergarten through workplace and social space;
> classrooms, writing centres, cross-cultural settings, on-line, distance
> education, workplaces, community centres . . . .
>
> Here, just to get you started, are some ways we’ve read “Resisting
Teaching”:
>        Students as central learning as primary, resisting being constructed
> as “Teacher.”
>        Teaching and learning as inquiry, students as researchers, learning
> and teaching as socio-culturally diverse, hence multicultural pedagogies of
> inclusion and enfranchisement, negotiated pedagogies.
>        Teaching literacy in so-called non-traditional sites:  writing
> centres, on-line, distance education, community centres, unions, workplaces,
> prisons, beaches . . . .
>        Learning/teaching as activity subversive to oppressive schooling and
> exploitative workplaces, literacy as threat, literacy as play, literacy as
> desire; learnng/teaching as activity that reinstantiates socio-political
> hierarchies and exploitations, literacy as cooption.
>        None of the above. [“Whatever?”]
> As instructed, we designed a program with defined time for discussion,
> inkshedding and other interactivity.  Presentations will fill the remaining
> time, and will not be allowed beyond the boundaries of the time remaining.
> We have created spaces for various types of presentations. (Whatever you are
> planning to present, please imagine and propose it in at least two of these
> forms.)
>       stand-alone posters or other exhibits (e.g., reading table)
>       5-minute formal presentation, which may be amplified by posters or
> other exhibits
>       20-minute talks or papers
>       45-minute group activities (which should not include more than 15
> minutes of presentation and likely should include some sort of inkshedding)
> In addition to the usual contact information (see form), your proposal
should
> include a 200-word “abstract” of what you would present.  If you are seeking
> to present n one of the 45-minute group activity slots, please explain also
> what the activities would be.
>
> Proposal deadline: 14 January 2000
> Address: Inkshed 2000, Writing Centre, English Department, Simon Fraser
> University, Burnaby, BC  V5A 1S6
> Program Committee: Kathryn Alexander, Rick Coe, Shurli Makmillen, K.J.
Peters,