---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 14:37:39 -0400
From: Camilla Flintermann <[log in to unmask]>
To: Barb Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Shape Your Medical Future

Hi Barb-- in case this has not appeared on the PIE list, perhaps you will
post it for me?

We move this Saturday, but I will not have a modem line till mid-January.
Thanks for your help.
Camilla
***********

>Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 11:00:46 -0500 (EST)
>Date-warning: Date header was inserted by po.muohio.edu
>From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Shape Your Medical Future
>To: [log in to unmask]
>

>Dear Living Longer and Loving It! Subscriber,
>
>If you want to personally have a hand in speeding the
>applications of scientific discovery for the sake of finding
>cures to devastating disease that could strike you or a
>loved one, here's your chance . . .
>
>Currently, the National Institutes of Health(NIH) have
>proposed guidelines that would hasten the day when
>lifesaving benefits of stem cell research are available to
>you and your family.
>
>The guidelines are subject to public comment, however,
>and it is important that you express your support for them.
>Without hearing from people like you-individuals with a
>strong interest in living longer and loving it--it is very
>possible that development of stem cell research will stall.
>
>A Bit Of Background . . .
>
>Stem cell research, a recent discovery with
>unprecedented promise for finding cures to cancer, heart
>disease, Parkinson's disease, diabetes, spinal cord injuries
>and many other life-threatening conditions, must receive
>federal funds and oversight if it is ever going to provide
>relief to tens of millions of suffering Americans and their
>families, plus save the country billions in health care
>dollars.
>
>SCIENCE Magazine, the publication of the highly
>respected American Association for the Advancement of
>Science carefully weighs scientific discoveries over the
>course of a year. Recently, the Association named stem
>cell research "The Breakthrough of 1999," a distinguished
>honor that capped off a year in which stem cell research
>received strong support from a variety of parties including
>a broad coalition of major patient groups, well over one
>hundred professional organizations and societies, Nobel
>Prize winning scientists, and leading ethicists and
>theologians.
>
>What You Can Do . . .
>
>Take a direct hand in shaping your medical future. Say
>yes today to NIH's proposed guidelines for federal support
>for stem cell research. Urge family and friends to do the
>same. It's that important! Comments are due at NIH no
>later than Monday, January 31, 2000, but it is critical that
>officials hear from you as soon as possible.
>
>Commenting is easy and fast! Identify yourself and simply
>say you are for the guidelines because: you believe NIH
>funding of stem cell research will ensure that therapeutic
>benefits for those in need will come as quickly as possible;
>and, because you believe in having federal oversight of
>this important new medical science, monitoring that would
>not be possible without NIH's involvement.
>
>Send your comments directly to NIH. Email:
>[log in to unmask] fax: Stem Cell Guidelines at
>301/402-0280; regular mail: Stem Cell Guidelines, NIH
> [...]

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 81/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

also, on PDWebring at  http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/flinterm.htm

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for
                        Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "