On  2 Jan 00 at 14:37, George J. Lussier wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>    I have a question or two  about the cost of medication and would love to
> hear from you.Please scroll down to the end of this message for the
> questions.

SNIP

> Why wasn't the prescribing physician aware of the cost of the drugs
> that she prescribes? Or was she?

Here in Canada, even tho' there is "universal medicare" there is still
a deductible on pharmaceuticals and the govt. plans often refuse to pay
more than the going rate for the generic, if there is one... This tends
to raise the question (between patient & prescribing physician) of
"How much will this cost? Is a generic available? Who will pay? What
will my share be? etc."  and the awareness in my experience is high.
So, I think most neuros are well informed and any failure to discuss
alternatives indicates lack of rapport between neuro and patient.
In my experience, given that Parkinson's is long term and the neuro -
patient relationship equally long term, we need neuros we can feel
comfortable with and we need that degree of rapport.

> Why did the pharmacist fail to notify this very good client of a
> considerably less expensive generic that had come on the market?

Again, in my experience, the pharmacist is usually aware of the
options and generics and will discuss this in a general way while
leaving the decision up to the prescribing physician if you wish to
pursue options.  It appears incumbent on the patient to be informed and
to use that knowledge to his or her advantage in dealing with the pros.
That said, I believe it is also incumbent on the professionals to be
fully informed and advise the public of the options for best quality of
life at an affordable cost. I can only speculate why a pharmacist might
not advise of a recent less expensive generic...

> I would love to hear what you have to say on the matter.

You have raised some very important considerations to discuss and I
look forward with you for the responses.  So far we have...

Get a neurologist you feel comfortable with and develop a level of
rapport that allows you to discuss your medications so you understand
fully what it will do for you and what it will cost.

Get a 90 day supply when you are on a long term prescription as you
will save by only paying 4 dispensing fees per annum.

Always ask if there is an equally effective less expensive generic
equivalent for any prescribed pharmaceutical.

Consider the cost per tablet and the effective dosage.  Is it possible
to achieve an equal quality of life at an optimum cost by varying the
timing and the dosages as detailed in George Lussiers initial post.

Shop around a little to check the cost per tablet of various suppliers.

Check the dispensing fee charged by each dispensary and compare.

Any one else?

All the best George, and thank you for raising an important issue...
murray