George, you have a way with numbers! I recently found out that my mother
takes Zocor, a cholesteral lowering medication and the company that makes it
send her a rebate check every time she renews the perscription and sends them
a copy. I don't remember the exact amount, but I believe it exceeds $50 a
month. I think that some companies actually send out free meds for indigent
patients. I would suggest to start by asking the pharmacist if he/she is
aware of rebates, AFTER asking about generics. Also there are mailorder
distributers who ship large quantities at reduced prices.  The pharmacies
don't really want you to know about the distributers. Also, just call the
manufacturer and ask THEM about any rebates or other ways to save. Also check
with a VA hospital if you are a veteran, or a spouse or child of one, you
might be elegible to get free or discounted perscriptions or even
wheelchairs, etc.
No one will give you anything if you don't ask for it!
Ken B