Hi everybody,

There is a simple way to have the medication at a lower price, but all
members of the network have to participate.  Just list the price of
anti-Parkinson medication (either per tablet, or per 100 tablets in the
local currencies) on this list and than we will compare the prices. We will
than purchase the medication from a country with the lowest price and
distribute it to the members, who pay too much.  Remember (especially for
the USA members), that for example Sinemet 25/100 is the same in each
country, from the same company, so don't be afraid that you will get
something else or a different concentration etc.  of a specific medication.
Sometimes, medication in different countries have differerent names, to make
it more complicated for the "consumers". Therefore, I suggest we use the
generic name if applicable. Here is a list of frequently used anti-Parkinson
medication:
levodopa/carbidopa                    Sinemet
levodopa/benserazide                Madopar/Prolopa
selegiline                                      Eldepryl
amantadine                                  Symmetrel/Amantan
entacapone                                   Comtan
tolcapone                                       Tasmar
trihexyphenidyl                                Artane
orphenadrine                                Disipal
ropinorol                                        Requip
pergolide                                       Permax
bromocriptine                                Parlodel
pramipexole                                    Mirapex
etc.

The pharmacological companies won't like this, but this is one way of
showing them that we can bypass their high prices in certain countries.
Maybe, they will than start to adjust their prices more uniformly.
It does surprise me again that Parkinson support groups don't put pressure
on companies and/or governments to lower the prices of meds.

Good luck and again a happy and healthy 2000.

Chris van der Linden, M.D.