Rita,
You're a Republican, right?  If not you'd better switch your political
affiliation.  Politics aside I think your reasoning is off the mark,
although I did like your comments on volunteerism.   First of all, I don't
believe for a second that any truly disabled person, whether a PWP or other,
wants to be "taken care of" by Uncle Sam.  The majority of us want to
maintain our dignity and self-worth, and our independence.  There is no
shame in seeking help by way of phyiscal, monetary, or emotional support.
Accepting help from any source to soften the burden of disability is not a
contradiction to independence.  You neglected to mention the two other
"unalienable rights" granted by the Declaration of Independence, Life and
Liberty.  Without them happiness is a moot concept.

The gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" is widening in this country
at an alarming rate.  It makes you wonder just how long the "have nots" and
the down-trodden are willing to sit back and collect the scraps.

Greg
47/35/35

Rita wrote:

Subject: Re: support initiatives for PWP

>Many of the programs for support of disabled are handled via the various
>states and municipalities in a variety of ways..........the social worker
at
>the local hospital or major medical center will be of some help and
direction
>to you to find what is available in your local area.
>
>The disabled person has a variety of needs, resources and support
>available....
>depending on the degree of disability and the nature of the disability
>(obviously the needs of a blind person are much different than the needs of
>quadraplegic for example).  Each PWP has a different set of needs....your
>local medical community should be able to direct you to services in your
>community/state.  The need for support from many of the agencies/services
is
>not available until the time of need (and then you get in line and
>wait)....however, funding is not available in most cases for those who
>"anticipate" the need.
>
>I am a bit disenchanted at times to read "I want to maintain my
>independence"....
>"who will give me a ramp.....a home, a sewer, a healthcare worker, a tax
>break, a legal advisor"...."who will pay to take care of me?"  are those
>comments not contradictory?
>
>Is it really more expensive to maintain an individual in a skilled care
>facility than to provide tax breaks, food stamps, utility benefits, health
>care, disability payments, van service, medicaid/medicare, home
alterations,
>home health aids, legal aid
>...........what do all of these benefits total over a year?  Someone is
>paying for these benefits....is it you? my husband? my children?  or the
>attorney down the street (is he exempt from the problems of life by virtue
of
>his profession?).
>
>Who is saying "I want to pay more taxes so I will be assured fulltime care
in
>my own home by the persons I select"......
>
>Who is saying "I want all of the support of health care providers, home
care
>services, etc".......but "I am too busy to volunteer my time to help others
>or to contribute to your foundation/cause/agency/non-profit?".
>
>Our contributions to the major foundations supporting PD research and
>education are the source of income for these groups....what has been your
>financial contribution? Do you want research? education? cure? service?
Each