Dear Bill and PIENet members:

When I first read in a newspaper about tremor relief with Remeron
(mirtazapine), I contacted Akzo Nobel, the company who produces it.   Joe
Bruman is accurate with his information.  However, the producer cited an
article in the journal *Neurology* (Sept. '99) by V. Pact, and T. Giduz,
"Mirtazapine treats resting tremor, essential tremor, and levodopa-induced
dyskinesias."

According to the article, initially, this unexpected side effect of the drug
was observed when a 73 year-old depressed woman with PD was started on
Remeron for her depression.  Due to her PD, she also had a tremor that
interfered with her ability to hold and deal cards while playing bridge.
Within days of starting Remeron, she happily noticed that she experienced
resolution of her tremor and could hold her cards steady.  The article also
discusses four other patients who experienced clinically significant relief
of tremor without sedation.

The authors and the drug company indicate that further study is warranted.

It's too early to say for sure, but we can hope it's in the cards that this
effect plays out positively for other PD patients.

Len Zunin 64/60