Joartis... it can be hard to be out in public with this conditon. I am
finding this out for myself. However, I have the benefit of growing up with
two disabled sisters that caused a lot of looks when out. I watched my
parents fight daily for their rights to go to school like the others (during
the 50's) and be able to be out in public. I learned a long time back that
if others have a problem with some one other's needs then it is just that...
their problem. I tremor out, in church, teaching class, grocery shopping
etc. I drop things, fall, bump into things and the like. In today's world we
are luckier then in the past. There is a world wide awareness for those less
capable then others. We have rights to park closer, sit in certain areas,
have special hotel rooms, etc etc etc. Not to lessen the reality of going
out and being staired at.... that is difficult. But again, It is part of who
we are. We are this  conditon and that does not make us less of a person...
we have special needs. Many times others look out of curiousity as to how
another copes with such a challenge. Some look to recall a time in their
life past or possibly in the future. Some times we take looks as always
being about us, when it may well be about the person who is looking. I
sometimes look at children with siblings who are disabled and it flashes
back to my experience and how different or not it is today. So, yes, being
out can be a bit difficult with someone who is having troubles with food,
coughing, spilling etc. But some times the looks are not about us at all. I
hope that this may expand your understanding on what some looks are about.
You may be eduacating those around you. Maybe slow down a bit. Rome wasn't
built in a day. I took my disabled in-laws out only on the very best of
their days at first. We would go to small quiet places first. IHOPs are
great, but fast and crowded and busy. Some times a quieter, smaller place
will assist your husband in feeling more relaxed and in routine. Later, I
would take my mohter in law out on very bad days just to assist her in
trying to recapture some sense of expansion in her world. I grew up with
cripple children's association, had a child with disabilities, home cared my
in-laws (both with disabilities) and my husband with a degenerational
condition and now it is my turn with PD. If your husband can get out and
seems to enjoy it... do it (blast the other looks)... if it causes him to
stiffen and be confused, find another avenue for his life's out ward living.
Drives, etc. Play it by ear, but try to find it in a way as we did as
kids... find the adventure in the discovery. I know, harder then it
sounds... hang in there and know that many of us are praying for you and
your husband to have a gentler year in '2000.