Dear Cari,
Caries, and other oral conditions, are very common among people with PD.
The medications frequently cause dry mouth. Also, many PWP breathe
through the mouth, drying the mouth and gums. Saliva helps create a
hygienic environment for the teeth and gums, and when it is absent, it
allows the growth of bacteria that can cause tooth decay. Your father
should mention to the dentist that he has PD, and list the meds he uses
as well; the dentist may want to do a fluoride treatment or advise a
rinse or other treatment to help prevent gum or tooth disease.
Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Medical nutrition therapy for Parkinson's disease
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Parkinson's disease: assessing and managing unique nutrition needs;"
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson'sdisease,"
J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/