----------
> From: janet paterson <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: PMID: 10499361 - Pesticide heptachlor affects
dopaminetransporters.
> Date: Wednesday, September 29, 1999 12:05 AM
>
> Heptachlor alters expression and function of dopamine transporters.
>
> Epidemiological data support a relationship between pesticide exposure
and Parkinson's disease; however, no experimental evidence has been
provided to support this association.

> Here we report that subchronic administration of the organochlorine
insecticide heptachlor (0, 3, 6, 9, or 12 mg/kg given 3 times over a 2 week
period) leads to a pronounced increase in both the plasma membrane
transport of dopamine and the expression of the plasma membrane dopamine
transporter (DAT), as well as the vesicular monoamine transporter (VMAT2)
in the striatum of C57BL mice.

> To address possible mechanisms of increased DAT and VMAT2 expression, we
performed transport studies in cell lines expressing the human forms of
either DAT or VMAT2.

> In a DAT expressing cell line, acute treatment with the putative toxic
species of heptachlor, heptachlor epoxide, did not alter plasma membrane
dopamine uptake.

> In a VMAT2 expressing cell line, heptachlor epoxide significantly
inhibited vesicular uptake of dopamine (45% reduction at 10 microM).

> Since DAT has been proposed to be the molecular gateway for dopaminergic
toxins, such as the parkinsonism-inducing neurotoxin MPP, and VMAT2 has
been proposed to protect cells from MPP and other toxins by sequestering
the toxin into vesicles, the combined effects of heptachlor could increase
the susceptibility of the nigrostriatal dopamine system to
neurodegeneration.

> We further propose that altered dopamine transport by exposure to
pesticides may provide a molecular basis for the increased incidence of
Parkinson's disease.

> Neurotoxicology 1999 Aug;20(4):631-7
> Miller GW, Kirby ML, Levey AI, Bloomquist JR
> Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC,
USA.