Bonnie, I think they are still around, we aren't using them ( including me ) .
Every now and then someone posts various methods of  filtering them out.  Also
most browsers have methods for doing so.   Also there is Simon Coles ( I think
that is the name )and another called movement disorders which has no chit-chat -
but more or less scientific information only. I am not a pwp and sometimes my
delete finger gets tired. I scan the list for information my husband can use.
Nita