Will,

Just catching up on PD digests I noticed this posting
by you:

<<
 There are only a few PET scan machines..... about 250
 in the world the last I heard.  They are quite
 expensive to buy and terribly expensive to operate....
 The neurologist I use in New Jersey [in a med school] has
 to send people [rarely] to London to get a scan done.
 T'ain't cheap!!    Will Johnnston<<

Did you read Current Science Reviews?

>>Hutchinson M, Raff U; J Neur N'surg Psych 1999;67:815-818:
Until now, presymptomatic diagnosis of PD could be done by
positron-emission tomography (PET) scan but not by the much
cheaper magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technique. Authors
describe a new way of using MRI that may possibly permit
such early diagnosis, and later staging of the disease.<<

Michael Hutchinson, M.D. (author of the above) is a neuro
at NYU/Mt Sinai Medical Center in NYC. You could ask your
neurologist if this would work for his patients.  It might
be more convenient and cost effective.

Victoria Nordli cg