Stem Cell Guidelines
NIH Office of Science Policy
1 Center Drive
Building 1, Room 218
Bethesda, MD 20892

To those assembling public comment:

I am replying to your request for public comment on the Draft
National Institutes of Health Guidelines for Research Involving
Human Pluripotent Stem Cells (December 1999) on the World
Wide Web at http://www.nih.gov/news/stemcell/draftguidelines.htm

My interest is that I have Parkinson's disease, and the use of stem
cells has substantial possibilities as an effective palliation and likely
even a cure.

I understand that some people, a small but vocal minority, have
severe misgivings about the use of stem cells.  I understand their
concern, but I do not share it.  I would accept the Guidelines as
they stand, though I would rather see them a bit more permissive.

I am of the opinion that Research involving stem cells is one area
that is likely to bear fruit soon for Parkinson's Disease.

It will be done in the United States if the use of pluripotent stem
cells is NOT unduly restricted.

It will be done outside the United States if the use of pluripotent
stem cells IS unduly restricted.

The work will be done somewhere, because it shows sufficient
promise.  Out of my pride for my country, among other reasons.
I would like to see it done in the U. S.

As for those people who would lay tougher restrictions on the
use of pluripotent stem cells, let me say this:  If the work is done
within the U.S., then the life that is represented by the pluripotent
stem cells will be treated with high regard  The laws now in
existence in the U.S. require this.  By contrast, should the
research move abroad, the concern for lives may be less great.
If these people truly respect life, they will encourage that the
research be done here, rather than take the chance that the
research be done in a milieu less committed to preservation of life.

For these reasons, I would like to see fetal cell and pluripotent
stem cell research allowed in U.S.Government work as proposed
with the same or, preferably, less restraints.

J. Arthur Hirsch
Lewisville, TX
972-436-4772