Betty,
Maybe it depends on where you're from.  Regardless, the police still need
probable cause to pull you over.  If they are targeting HC vehicles and you
can prove a pattern, I'd approach the DA in your county about the problem.
You might consider buying another plate and just use a placard on rearview
mirror when you park. HC plate doesn't serve any purpose when you're on the
road.

Greg
47/35/35