Nancy Martone Update  - use of Gabapentin

We just wanted to share the latest update on Nancy's overall
condition. Nancy will be 55 soon. This is her 25th year of
overcoming as many PD obstacles as she can. Right now she is
doing the best she has done in the last 2 years. After a
significant deline this summer, Nancy has rebounded once
again.

 Why?  While with PD no single solution seems to solve all
the PD problems, occasionally something works that really
improves the quality of life. We seem to have stumbled on
one of those again.  After learning that Nancy has developed
a hypothyroid condition, .075 mg of synthroid were added to
her daily diet of meds.
This seemed to make her feel better but did not seem to
improve her PD symptoms. About six months ago we added 400mg
per day of Amantadine back to her med schedule and her
sinemet started working better again. (Starting and stopping
amantadine, through careful titration, over the last 10
years has always yielded measurable improvement in all of
Nancy's PD symptoms when she restarted the amantadine).

This time however we received little benefit for her now
very pronounced stooped posture and the attendant hip pain.
After trying a variety of pain relievers Nancy's neuro
suggested we try Neurontin for the back pain. She started
with 1200 mg and started to sleep a lot; day and night.
Since there were no other side effects, she was raised to
2400 mg. Today she is taking 3600 mg with no side effects.

The beneficial results now are impressive. The hip pain is
being managed with a few Ibprofen. She is alert all day long
her speech is stronger and less slurred, and she is sleeping
all night long. The benefits of her 1995 bilateral
pallidotomies (actually two unilateral pal's) continue. She
has virtually no dyskinesia, minor tremor and minor rigidity
in her extremities but still has major rigidity in her
trunk. The benefit of being able to sleep all night long has
been wonderful for both of us. Day time living is greatly
improved. Nancy has started a bridge group that comes to our
house and plays twice a month. There are PD and non-PD
players.

We are currently managing without a caregiver. I still do
the cooking  and minor daily cleaning and then we get help
on the weekends.

Neurontin/Gabapentin in conjunction with Amantadine

After obseving these benefits now for several months I
started to do a little research on Neurontin/Gabapentin and
Amantadine. It appears that both of these meds, Neurontin
for sure, and Amantadine maybe, actually work on the brain's
glutamate system and serve as a glutamate inhibitor.
Glutamate inhibits dopamine at the receptor sites hence if
you inhibit glutamate you enhance dopamine. We have reduced
Nancy's sinemet intake by 20% or 200 mg with no ill effects.

I would like to here from the lists guru's on the use of
Gabapentin in the treatment of PD. I discovered that it is
used for Lou Gehrigs disease  and focal epileptic seizures
but haven't found any specific recommendations for its use
with PD.

I hope this is informative and look forward to a new thread
on Neurontin generic form is Gabapentin.

Bob Martone
http://www.kingwoodcable.com/martone/