Debbie White wrote:

> My mother Joyce (70, striatonigral degeneration) took a fall 2 days ago and
> broke her clavical (again) and spent this morning in ER because of another
> bad fall - this time to the head, neck, back.

So sorry about the falls and know that her care must be a continuing worry.

> Not that they are going to listen to me, but I want to look into continuing
> care facilities.

Sounds like a good idea as it seems that her condition has gotten to the point
where your dad can not longer ensure her safety.

> Also, any general advice about looking into such places? How to begin, etc.

I haven't looked at continuing care but have listened to what others have said.
From our family's experience with my mom it is essential that it be near to you
or your sister so you can check in easily on a frequent basis. You will spot
things they (your Mom, Dad or the staff) don't tell you about that need
attention and there are so many little things that family needs to do.

I think with continuing care, verses assisted living or nursing homes, there is
often a non-refundable buy in. They also might assess their health before
accepting them. They're in it for money and can't afford to take someone who is
going to quickly take alot of resources. Those two things may determine what
kind of place they can go to.

I seem to remember some good posts in the last few months about what to look
for in a nursing home. They would be a good starting place so why don't you
search the archives.

Good luck in you search.

Kathy W. cg for Jim