CORRECTION: In my summary of the NIH Parkinson's Disease
Research Planning Meeting (which was recently posted on the listserv),
I inadvertently omitted listing the presence and active
participation of Dr. Perry Cohen (representing the
Parkinson Disease Foundation) when listing those who
attended as advocacy representatives.
Here's a final posting of the article which will appear in
the next issue of the National Parkinson Foundation's quarterly
"Parkinson Report" magazine.
-Larry Hoffheimer
I just returned from the NIH Parkinson's Disease
research planning meeting in Washington, DC. I thought
all of you on this list would like to see the article
I am submitting for the next issue of the Parkinson
Report about this historic meeting.
Larry Hoffheimer

National Institutes of Health Hosts
Parkinson's Disease Planning Meeting

Parkinson sufferers worldwide will be pleased to know that the National
Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) has just concluded
hosting a two day meeting focusing on defining strategies for research
that will most likely lead to better treatments and eventually to a cure
for Parkinson's disease. The meeting, entitled the "Parkinson's Disease
Planning Meeting" was arranged by Dr. Gerald Fischbach, NINDS Director,
assisted by several of his principal professional staff members.

The meeting was inspired by language in the House-Senate Conference
Report that accompanied the recently enacted Appropriations Bill that
funds the National Institutes of Health.

The language reads:  NIH is expected to consult closely with the research
community, clinicians, patient advocates, and the Congress regarding
Parkinson's research and fulfillment of the goals of the Morris K. Udall
Parkinson's Research Act. NIH is requested to develop a report to
Congress by March 1, 2000 outlining a research agenda for Parkinson's
focused research for the next five years, along with professional
judgment funding projections. The NIH Director should be prepared to
discuss Parkinson's focused research planning and implementation for
fiscal year 2000 and fiscal year 2001.

NINDS has caused the formation of an inter -NIH Parkinson's disease
coordinating committee with representatives from NINDS, the National
Institute on Aging, the National Institute of Mental Health, the National
Institute on Deafness and other Communications Disorders, the National
Institute on Nursing Research, the National Institute of Environmental
Health Sciences, the National Human Genome Research Institute, and the
National Center for Research Resources A Parkinson's Disease Steering
Committee has been given the responsibility of overseeing the preparation
of the NIH report to Congress   following the planning meeting. The
members of the Steering Committee are: Mahlon DeLong (Emory University),
co-chair, John Marler (NINDS), co-chair, Tom Jessell (Columbia
University), Jeff Martin (Parkinson advocate), and Ira Shoulson
(University of Rochester).

In addition to most of the leading scientists and Parkinson clinicians in
the Nation, the following advocacy representatives were invited to be
active participants. Nathan Slewett, Chairman of the Board, Larry
Hoffheimer, NPF's Washington Counsel, and Bill Koller, NPF Research
Director. Robin Elliott, Executive Director of the Parkinson Disease
Foundation, Joel Gerstel, Executive Director of the American Parkinson's
Disease Association, Joan Samuelson, President of the Parkinson Action
Network, Martin Tuchman, Director of the Parkinson Alliance, and Ken
Aidekman of the Parkinson Unity Walk.

Beginning with a dinner hosted by the advocacy groups, an evening working
session took place to set the framework for the next day and a half. Dr.
Fischbach expressed his sincere desire to obtain new and creative ideas
that the attendees believed should be funded in order to better
understand Parkinson's disease and hasten our pursuit towards a cure. For
the next day and a half, researchers, clinicians and advocates hammered
away at developing new ideas and pathways that were believed to be most
promising.

Having observed the National Institutes of Health funding behavior for
nearly 25 years, I believe that the Parkinson community is receiving an
historic scientific review of the NIH's entire Parkinson's disease
research agenda. The advocacy efforts are truly beginning to payoff. In
the next issue of the Parkinson's Report I will provide our readers with
a summary of the National Institutes of Health Parkinson's disease
research agenda called for by the United States Congress.

Lawrence S. Hoffheimer
1250 24th Street, NW
Suite 300
Washington, DC 20037