When I first began sinemet CR, I also had dizziness and nausea. At first I thought that I may have a virus. After a couple of days, the effects began to settle down. After two weeks I did fine on it. I am not your mother's age and even if I were, these meds behave different on each person. I would call the doctor and ask him about it and see if the side effects are short term or not for her. Good luck....Kathie
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: joan carol urquhart
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2000 10:22 AM
  Subject: Daytime use of Sinemet CR: why?

  A quick question regarding my mother's recent visit to her (non-moverment disorder) neurologist...
  (She is 78, was dx in  91...hovering between Stage 2 and 3...)

  Recently at her last  3  month visit, she complained that her off times were getting longer...and wondered if there was anything that could be done regarding a meds change.  She takes Sinemet  100/25  4 times a day  and also Sinemet CR 100/25 at bedtime, along with Requip 3 times during the day.

  Her Doctor's response was to change the daytime Sinemet from regular Sinemet to Sinemet CR 100/25 and to take it with the same frequency (same number of pills as the Sinemet Regular regime).  She did so for 2 days and at the end of the second day, began to feel SO dizzy and nauseous, with difficulty maintaining balance when walking (said she felt like she was floating), and felt so disoriented that she has decided to go back to her old  regime of daytime regular Sinemet and sufffer the longer off periods.
  She will call her neurologist to tell him this and to get the regular Sinemet prescription refilled since she doesn't know what else to do.

  My question is this...why would one prescribe/take Sinemet CR during the day time, if there is a better option (a better regime to follow or a different agonist to  investigate)? ...especially if one is trying to make Sinemet's effectiveness last a lifetime of  pd.

  Hope I haven't asked the obvious.

  Joan U.