Simple binary conversion, except as the problem is written, it would take 11
envelopes should the son be asked for 0 dollars ("no matter what number of
dollars I ask for, you can give me one or more envelopes"! The 11 envelopes
would contain 0, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, and 489 respectively!!!!

Signed,
        Just a "nit picking" Engineer!