My previous message was certainly not intended to make anyone feel
'scolded and patronized'.  It is merely one of the many expected tasks of
a listowner to ensure that all listmembers are aware that this is a
support group, an 'information exchange'... intended to raise the level
of knowledge about living with pd ... intended to help pwp's & their
caregivers be better prepared when meeting with their physicians and is
in NO WAY intended to replace professional medical advice.

There is only one person totally responsible for MY health care and that
is ME.  The only person totally responsible for YOUR health care is YOU.
If your family physician or neurologist or any other kind of ologist'
does not recognize and respect the fact that you are in a partnership
when it comes to your health care, fire him/her & hire another one if
that is at all possible. (For example, I have been diagnosed for 8 years
and am seeing Neuro #3.) But one cannot expect health care professionals
to maintain that relationship if the pwp unilaterally makes changes
unless this has been negotiated and agreed upon by both.

We know what the symptoms of pd feel like.  We know what the side effects
of the medication feel like.  Thanks to the incredible variety of
information available to us on the internet, including the parkinsn list,
we have a clearer understanding of available treatments.  We walk into
our doctors' offices far better prepared than ever before.  In
partnership with the doctors' skills & education, we make a formidable
team against pd.

Barb
Barbara Patterson                               [log in to unmask]
HSC 2J22                                        905-525-9140, ext. 22403
                        School of Nursing