Two more or less philosophical comments on these issues. The first concerns
the quote below:

QUOTE:
This is a meaningless argument.  In the final analysis both the pro life
and
pro choice arguments are based on an act of faith.  No one has as yet been
able to determine when human life begins and it is highly unlikely that
anyone ever will.  The pro life camp argue that you cannot condone the
wholesale killing of human beings. The pro choice camp argue that we are
not
dealing with human beings.  NEITHER side can prove its basic tenet, hence
my
comment that each is based on an act of faith.
UNQUOTE.

It seems to me that the determination when life begins is really not a
question of Faith. Rather it is a matter
which needs to be defined. There are many issues in human interactions
which do not have a right or wrong
answer but must nevertheless be dealt with. In the Sciences we deal with
this by defining a connection between
things. This is usually easy because there are rarely ethical or emotional
issues involved. For instance we could
define the color red as electromagnetic radiation of a certain wavelength.
No controversy here. Similarly it is essentially
the job of the courts (usually the higher ones) to make decisions which
amount to definitions of human behavior.
The precedents which arise amount to definitions. Thus if a case concerning
the beginning of life came to the
Supreme Court they would have to decide when life begins. This then is a
definition and not a decision of
what is right or wrong.  Notice that the emphasis is on decide.

A second point:
This may be the first time in history when the development and possibly the
propagation of a cure is based on
portions of a "living" human organism. To take the contrary view, if stem
cells can be used to develop a cure
and stem cells are only available from fertilized cells then a cure is
impossible without those cells.
Notice that we coming right back to a definition/court decision. I am
excluding here transplants because the
ethical issues involved are a little different and are less subject to
controversy.

There is also something else lurking out there. The rest of the world.
Suppose a cure is developed, say in
Japan and it requires Stem cells. Do we exclude this cure in the US on
ethical grounds?

Something the think about.

K-F cg Carline