Hi Bonnie,
I think I can answer this even tho' here in Canada the $1.00 paper note
has been replaced with a coin called the "Loonie"...

On 16 Jan 00 at 15:12, Bonnie Rowley wrote:
> He used a shredder & then wrote IOU's.

Nope.... see below...

> In a message dated 1/16/00 9:00:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> > A man told his son that he would give him $1000 if he could
> > accomplish the
> >  following task. The father gave his son ten envelopes and a
> >  thousand dollars, all in one dollar bills. He told his son, "Place
> >  the money in the envelopes in such a manner that no matter what
> >  number of dollars I ask for, you can give me one or more of the
> >  envelopes, containing the exact amount I asked for without having
> >  to open any of the envelopes. If you can do this, you will keep the
> >  $1000."
> >
> >  When the father asked for a sum of money, the son was able to give
> >  him envelopes containing the exact amount of money asked for. How
> >  did the son distribute the money among the ten envelopes?

The answer is elementary to anyone who deals in binary numbers since the
1's (or 0's) for the first ten positions in binary represent ANY number
from zero to 1023 in decimal.  (1024 possible combinations...)

The ten envelopes therefore contained.......
1.) One dollar
2.) Two dollars
3.) Four dollars
4.) Eight dollars
5.) Sixteen dollars
6.) Thirty-two dollars
7.) Sixty-four dollars
8.) One hundred and twenty-eight dollars
9.) Two hundred and fifty-six dollars
10.) The remaining Four hundred and eighty-nine dollars

Supposing the father had asked for $800, as an example, the son would
then give him envelopes 10; 9; 6; 5; 3; 2; & 1...

489 + 256 + 32 + 16 + 4 + 2 + 1 = 800

Do I get to keep da money???????

All the best ............ murray