Hi All,
In our local Health Food store I saw a new book called the "Vegetarian
Manifesto" by Jay Fothergill.
It was sponsored by an organization called EarthSave Canada which is
apparently a local BC group.
They have a website......
http://www.earthsave.bc.ca/home/index.html
http://www.earthsave.bc.ca/events/index.html
http://www.earthsave.bc.ca/articles/index.html

Some of the research in the book and some of the info on their site is
quite thought provoking...

*World Hunger*
Number of people who will die as a result of malnutrition and
starvation this year - 20,000,000
Number of people who could be fed if North America reduced their intake
of beef by 10% - 100,000,000

*Energy and Water Consumption*
Calories of fossil fuel expended to produce 1 calorie of protein from
beef - 78
Calories of fossil fuel expended to produce 1 calorie of protein from
soybeans - 2
Activity that accounts for more than half of all water consumed for all
purposes in the U.S. - Livestock Production

*Pesticides*
Major Sources of Pesticide residues in the Western diet - Meat,
poultry, dairy products.

Obviously these guys are pro veggies and anti beef.
That said, are the figures they use legitimate?? It has the desired
"jolt" when I read this stuff.  Can it be verified??

What do you guys think??

All the best .......... murray