-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Swollen ankles thanks you
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:34:41 -0800
From: Charlotte Mancuso <[log in to unmask]>
To: Dennis Nestler <[log in to unmask]>

Hi,

I know tons of people on Mirapex or Requip (another agonist like
Mirapex)  All
complained variously of swollen feet/ankles and, in some severe cases,
swelling
of legs as well, plus  reddening and discoloration.  I have experienced
all this
about both of them; I switched from Mirapex to Requip--same problem--I
don't
take amantadine or selegiline. I don't know anyone who has attributed
these
symtoms from amantadine or selegiline.  While some swelling could be
gotten from
some of these drugs, IMHO, the agonists are notorious for it.  I'd
single out
Mirapex first, if you're going to experiment.  One thing about Requip
that has
helped me, is that it dosing range is very broad--up to 24 mgs/day as
opposed to
4.5mg/max/day for Mirapex.  This gives you room to fine tune your dose.
I kick
back my dose from 9mg/day to 6-7/day when I'm having a bad bout of
swelling,
without having to sacrifice much symptom relief.  I couldn't really do
that with
Mirapex.  People say that Requip is weaker, doesn't work, but even
doctors don't
know what the equivalent dosages are between them.  I found that 7-9
mgs/day was
about the same as 1.5mg/day of Mirapex.  I get just as sleepy, and
swollen on
both, but I feel, after initial problems with both, that Requip was
easier on
me, and easier to deal with--more gradual and smooth--in the long run.
(Both
took me months to titrate up).

As always, check with your Doc and you could ask Charlie Meyer on the
list what
he thinks.  Good luck

Charlotte Mancuso

--
Charlotte A. Mancuso
For advocacy, medical, and other PD-related material, go to: