You are right about the potential stem cells.  I don't think anyone is more
excited than the scientists at NIH. It's not NIH that you want to encourage,
its Congress.  The stem cell guidelines are intended to make it possible for
stem cell research to continue.  I know, I was on the stem cell guidelines
committee.

I believe, from my experience as an advocate, that the legislators who we
should be attempting to persuade are those sitting on the fence.  There are
many anti abortion legislators who do not have a problem with stem cell
research. I would hope the Parkinson's  Action Network could supply you with
that information. Forget about the hard-core right to life zealots.

The other way to encourage stem cell research is through seed money grants.
That is what the Parkinson's alliance is promoting.  NIH, through a very
liberal interpretation of the law, continues to do stem cell research. Their
interpretation is that it is within the law to conduct stem cell research,
as long as they do not produce the embryo.

The best way to influence NIH is to have researchers submit good research
proposals in that area of interest.  Again seed money grants we feel the
best way to do that.

dave purdy wrote:

I have been afflicted with Parkinson's disease for 22 years. Most of the
time, I can still get around fairly well. But, during the other hours of
the day, I can't walk, I slur my words, and can't even respond to my 10
year old son's requests. I can't eat during the day because it will
interfere with my medicine getting to the brain. Do you call that life.
I don't enjoy it and I'm sure no one else does either. My brain is
slowly eroding away. The cells are dying...soon to be gone unless
someone does something about it pretty damn quick. The NIH has a chance
to save my life and millions more by stepping up the stem cell research.
Anti abortionist activists, who are blindly looking at it as a form of
abortion, are actually allowing us to die by standing in the way of the
much needed research. See what they say when you tell them that we are
barely living today, only to be dead tomorrow because they stood in the
way of stem cell research. If I was one of them, I would feel guilty.
My 10 year old son doesn't want a sick dad, and I know damn well he
doesn't want a dead one either. I urge to to listen to your heart and
come up with the logical conclusion. Please try to save my life. I still
have some things I want to do and I need to be alive to get them done.

Sincerely,
David Purdy
5797 Willow Lake Drive
Grove City, OH 43123