Dennis and group,

You are as usual correct in your analysis.

In talking about stem cells we are not talking about abortion,  we are
talking about the use of the of tissue which is being grown for IVF (in
vitro fertilization)  which actually  results in the birth of babies who
otherwise would not exist.  Cells are harvested from extra embryos left over
from the procedure which would otherwise be discarded. The embryos are in an
extremely early state prior to differentiation into organs therefore there
can be no consciousness and certainly it is not an interuption of a process
which will result in the development of a human being.  The process is
occurring in a petri dish and cannot progress to full term. The embryo is
doomed in any case.

You are also correct that when life begins cannot be determined here. It is
based on religion and faith (both sides).  Those that believe in the literal
truth of the Bible will not be dissuaded any more than are those of us who
deal with the world in relativistic terms weighing the good and evil in
something and taking a stand which we feel as moral.  But clarification of
the procedure and separating it from the onus of abortion is important.  If
one can accept the medical miracle of in vitro fertilization they should not
have a problem with the use of stem cells in research.  I think that unless
one rejects  pregnancy by IVF,  they need to take a good hard look at stem
cell research before condemning it. IVF promotes birth and therefore is pro
life. Stem cell research promotes life also -  its maintenance and quality
and therefore is also pro life.

Part of the issue is related to religion and morals if you don't believe the
way I do please respect our rights to support stem cell research and don't
impede scientists who are trying to find cures for PD and other illnesses
and be pro-life or at least neutral rather than  pro-death.

Charlie