Etymology: Late Latin zelotes, from Greek zElOtEs, from zElos
Date: 1537
1 capitalized : a member of a fanatical sect arising in Judea during the
first century A.D. and militantly opposing the Roman domination of Palestine
2 : a zealous person; especially : a fanatical partisan

© 1999 Britannica.com Inc.

Many of us on the list can be called Zealots when it comes to PD especially
you as one of our most effective spokespersons.  I think one can be proud of
the label at times.

Regarding stem cells, however, I don't think that one can understand the
potential stem cells have in the
treatment of many illnesses including PD-  reject it-  and not be a pro-life
zealot.  The rejection of this biotechnology advance is antiscientific and
puts the potential alleviating of suffering as secondary to a set of
religious or philosophic principals which are accepted  unswervingly and
imposed (or attempted to be imposed) on others who do not share their views.
Stem cells are one of the most promising area of research on the horizon.
While no guarantees are possible in any research it is a direction that must
be pursued and not banned by religious zealots.

The cells come from invitro fertilization not abortion so one can be
anti-abortion and still favor the research.  The belief that interrupting
the early development of an embryo which has no possibility of becoming a
human being is murder certainly appears to be stretching a point and is to
me immoral and is much more onerous  than is the position of those who
support stem cell research .

 I am proudly, a zealot for stem cell research.  I think my arguments are
based on reason and data while  the "pro-life" arguments are based on faith.
Speaking of semantics I believe my position is more "pro life" than those
who have adopted that term The opposition to stem cell research is
"anti-life" IMHO.

 Everyone has  right to their faith but not the right to impose the
teachings of that faith on anyone else.  My life is mine to make choices and
do what I think is the most moral thing to do.  Supporting stem cell
research is a way that I see to do what is moral and helpful to humanity.

Charlie