TEAM PARKINSON at the Los Angeles Marathon

http://www.parkinsonwalk.org/frames/news/

This year’s Los Angeles Marathon will be much better than last year’s.
Sure there’ll be more runners, cyclists and walkers than ever before,
but it will also include the first charitable event for Parkinson’s to
be associated with the LA Marathon.  We’re calling it ‘TEAM PARKINSON’
because it’s going to take a real team effort to cure this disease.

Who are we?  We’re volunteers from organizations and support groups in
the Southern California area working together under the direction of the
Parkinson’s Unity Walk and the Parkinson Alliance.  Proceeds from
sponsoring TEAM PARKINSON athletes will go to the American Parkinson
Disease Association, the Parkinson’s Action Network, The Parkinson
Disease Foundation, the National Parkinson Foundation and the Parkinson
Institute.  It will be used to fund and promote scientific research to
find a cure.

Maybe you already know some of the athletes of TEAM PARKINSON.  There’s
Matt Drayton and Wallace Teal who cycled across America last year to
raise money and awareness for PD in Parkinson’s Power Across America.

Mary Yost, a PWP advocate and frequent contributor to this list, is
training now to walk all 26 miles of the marathon course.

And then there’s John Ball a PWP from the LA area who will RUN this
year’s LA Marathon, AGAIN.  John not only runs the marathon but he helps
train disadvantaged kids train to run it as well.

TEAM PARKINSON has some important goals.

We want to collect money for research, but we also want to do something
special to bring the PD Community in Southern California closer
together.

We want to reach out to those of us who are not yet "connected" to the
Parkinson’s community and welcome them to the personal support and
resources we have been fortunate to find.

We want to recognize that curing PD is a goal shared by minorities in
this country.  Regardless of race, nationality or language, we are in
this fight together and we can not overlook the strengths that each
individual one of us can bring to the table.

Will you consider joining TEAM PARKINSON as an athlete or a booster?
Who knows what the future will bring?  With a little luck and planning
maybe TEAM PARKINSON will be heading for your town sometime soon.

Please click on the following address to learn more about TEAM PARKINSON
and how you can participate.

http://www.parkinsonwalk.org/frames/news/

Or contact our committee at [log in to unmask] &
(877) 735-2864.  We’ll send you out a package with more details.

Thank you,

Ken Aidekman
The Parkinson’s Unity Walk