>Barb,
>Is it the sugar that gets the Sinemet to "kick" in, or is it just a wee
>bit of protein, that is present even in a cookie, that does it.  I know
>that sounds strange because too much protein at the wrong time can
>interfer with the Sinemet doing it's job.  I can be so s-l-o-w trying to
>put the evening meal together, but after sitting down and having a few
>bites I can feel the change coming.  Was it the sugar in the salad
>dressing?  Or trailing after my husband as we walk around a "Flea
>Market", he stops to get an Italian Sausage Sandwich of which I take two
>bites, and within minutes I'm "on".  Was it the sugar in the bun?  I'm
>very protein sensitive, but if I watch what and when I eat I generally do
>fairly well. I've also found I do better if I can kind of nibble
>throughout the day.  Sooo - is it a little sugar, a wee bit of protein,
>or just something to eat that does the trick?!

Sharon & all

eating something such that there is some digestive function and
movement of the levodopa into the small intestine is important. this
small amount circa 15 minutes post taking the tablet may be near
optimum if the regular meal is taken 30 to 45 minutes after taking
the med.

if taking CR Sinemet, things are different. the tablet may spend long
period in the stomach; or, be only 50% efficacious for younger; or,
circa 77% absorbed in the more elderly. the CR has the larger
variability of efficacy and time of peak as well as peak
concentration per the original clinical data reported in Neurology.

I put some of this information into an Acrobat file:

http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter/levodopa.pdf

or, you may find the PD sub-pages of my website - URL below - interesting.
--
Ron Vetter 1936, '84 PD dz
mailto:[log in to unmask]