Hi,

Not new, but when I was putting out those first white P for P cans here in the
SF Bay Area, I accummulated some input from store managers:

My experience was they are not always crazy about cans at the register, and it
is highly competitive as to who gets to be there, and for how long.  Many really
big ones have long-standing committments to established charities, or some, big
and small, are worried about theft.  I managed to get cans at chain stores with
many registers per store, but it was a lot of  work for the amount I got for
April PD awareness month.

In the course of this effort, I talked to some district managers who said if
there were more lead time, that we could put in a request to become one of their
charities to which they give a small percentage of the receipts.  If they balk
you might try to persuade them by asking for a limited time period  or special
shopping day or weekend.  Maybe they'll do it for a longer period later.  Ask
for a trial period on anything they balk at.

Also, the Peninsula Parkinson's Support Groups of which I'm a board member,  did
a Macy's shopping day event for a large group of charities, where your group
sells tickets with a minimum quantity to qualify for a certain amount and, in
addition, you get a percentage of the day's take (or something very
similar--can't remember the exact details)  there was also a drawing involved.
Macy's San Jose and perhaps others has done this for years.

It's good PR and advertising for them to have a special shopping day for a
charity.  Now that PD has really made a splash in the media, with MJFox etc., PD
has more notoriety.

Merge it with another local,  regional/cultural/historical, or seasonal event or
time--you mentioned hearts--Valentines day is coming up, and then Easter:
hearts, eggs, flowers.

Any chance you could sell advertising on those hot-air balloons?  Offer
miniature balloons for  merchants to display saying they  sponsored you at the
festival?  I don't have all the machinations  worked out exactly, because I
don't know anything about the event.  But the raw idea is to jump on some
bandwagon going your way.  Leverage.  Also, I just sent an html page about a
list server that has an event service--it's called seeUthere or something.  I've
never used them; just saw them on my list server, OneList, that one of my little
PD e-mail groups is part of.

This isn't much help, but if I think of anything more I'll let you know.  I
would do one myself if I weren't already trying to do a local fundraiser.  I'll
do what I can in spreading the word to my groups and contacts for the Alliance's
latest effort that is emerging, I guess after I hear from our local contact
person.

Thanks to all in the Alliance for the hard work, and past and promising
rewards.  Good luck!

Charlotte Mancuso

--
Charlotte A. Mancuso
For advocacy, medical, and other PD-related material, go to: