> While Haldol is not indicated for use in Parkinson's disease patients, one
> must also remember that there are times when certain drugs are absolutely
> necessary for dealing with the sympmtoms of other  problems that can't be
> controlled sufficiently with the use of other drugs.  In these cases, the
> patient (and his physicians) must deal with the side effects.

It has been my experience that physicians and pharmacist are frequently
ignorant about the side effects of some  meds (particularly Haldol) in the
PD population.
Being on the front line of medical nursing, I can make that statement with a
good deal of authority.  I'm forever reminding doctors not to prescribe
Demerol when patients are on Eldepryl.  Haldol is so frequently used in
agitation that doctors automatically prescribe it as a 'front line' drug -
often without considering the possible contraindication in certain disease
processes.  I've taken to posting information (from this list, incidentally)
on bulletin boards in my hospital in an effort to decrease the inevitable
discomfort suffered by PWP when incorrect medications are ordered.

PWP *must* advocate for themselves.  It is essential that list members
confront their doctors when they feel a medical regimen is incorrect.  There
are a large number of good, alternative medications that can be used  in
place of those which produced severe side effects in the PD population.
-----
God bless
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 60/20)