From: Grace Hurlbut <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: symptoms of PD
Date: Tuesday, January 25, 2000 3:57 PM

Hello,  My name is Grace and my husband, Frank, who is 70 years old, was
diagnosed with Parkinson's in July.  He probably had it for 3 or 4 years
before it was diagnosed.  I'm worried about our future.  Today in the
Chicago Tribune, my husband found this letter.
    "The decision of Michael J. Fox to leave the successful sitcom Spin
City brings joy to many who are afflicted with Parkinson's Disease.  My
family has witnessed this awful disease firsthand.  It starts slowly,
invading the body with muscle pain and mild tremors.  Then it steadily
takes away one's ability to walk, sleep, think and eat.  Michael J. Fox
must know this.  That's why he's planning to spend a good deal of his time
raising money for research.  For, without the research, there will be no
cure.
     It's too late for Pope John Paul, Rev. Billy Graham, Mohammed Ali and
my mother.  Let's hope it's not too late for Mr. Fox.  May his compassion
and courage be an example to others."
    The description of Parkinson's that was used in this letter is what is
scaring me.  Does Parkinson's take away one's ability to walk, sleep, think
and eat.  I know I'm especially worried about taking a person's ability to
think away.  How much does Parkinson's affect the mind?