  There is an old story about a preacher who ascended the pulpit and
delivered a very moving sermon.  The entire congregation, save one person,
was moved to tears.   After things had calmed down a bit the holdout was
asked why he too had not been moved to tears.  "I am not from this
congregation", he said.

That little anecdote goes a long way to explaining why people who don't have
PD or are not caregivers have difficulty understanding why we can get so
wrought up about stem cell research or other things that appear obscure,
arcane and esoteric.  It is because we live in hope that the causes will be
discoveredand cures     developed.

For myself, I am optimistic that the causes will be discovered in my
lifetime.  But what are we to do in the meantime?

We must offer the best palliative care possible.  (Palliativecare is often
mistakenly equated with terminal care.  The New Shorter Oxford Dictionary
defines palliate as : "Alleviate the symptoms of a disease without effecting
a cure; relieve or ease suffering").

Chris van der Linden has argued very persuasively the case that neurosurgery
is the best palliative care available.  Having had a pallidotomy six
yearsago and DBS five years ago, I agree.  I have had a second chance at
life. Without  neurosurgery I would likely be dead.

We must lobby for more neurosurgeons!