Mary Ann Ryan wrote:

> This list has discussed Malignant Neuroleptic Syndrome - a condition brought
> about by the withdrawal of Sinemet and other drugs used to treat PD.
> Hopefully, your father's doctors will withdraw Sinemet slowly so as to avoid
> the possibility of MNS occurring.

They're going to stop him cold turkey.  They're only going to stop for
48hrs to see what happens.  I'm not sure if MNS can occur within 48hrs.

> I had an occasion to speak with an oncology nurse recently who told me that
> high fevers are sometimes the only sign of malignancy.  I know that you've
> mentioned that every corner of your father's body has been x-ray, scanned
> and imaged  and that his doctors have considered the possibility of a
> malignancy lurking somewhere in his body - but I thought I'd mention her
> observation.  Fevers due to drug therapy are not uncommon, however the pulse
> rate in such individuals is usually low - whereas, fevers due to infection
> are accompanied by high pulse rates.

His pulse rate has been high.  If they didn't detect any malignancy with
the biopsy's and all the other tests, I don't know if there is any other
way to tell if he has one.

The Infectious Disease Spec. said that it's possible this is the start
of some sort of progressive illness that they aren't able to detect
yet.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens when they
take him off the Prednisone and Sinimet.  {In case I forgot to mention,
he's been on Pred. for the past 6 days and his temperature has been
down, but not gone.  They want to see if the high temps come back and
then take him off the Sinimet.}

--
Richard R. Klemmer
http://www.webtrek.com