On 23 Jan 00 at 11:07, Arthur Hirsch wrote:

> Just heard a TV ad on one of the Sunday morning interview shows placed by
> the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA).  The
> subject of the ad was the new medicines that are being developed for
> Parkinson's.  I had not heard this ad before, and it is interesting that it
> should appear now.
>
> They referred the listeners to
>
> www.newmedicines.org
>
>  which has a link to their Parkinson's web page.
>
> Art

Thanks Art
I find their pages interesting with lots of links but I was a bit
disappointed that they (so far) don't live up to their billing.

I waded through their stuff to this site:

Pharmaceutical Researchers from 89 Companies Are Testing 138 New
Medicines to Help Patients with Brain Diseases
http://www.phrma.org/charts/neuro99.html

Self serving text like...
• new medicines to enhance the treatment of Parkinson's disease, which
affects one of every 100 people over age 60

Medicines currently in the pipeline_either in human clinical trials or
awaiting approval by the Food and Drug Administration_include: 27 for
brain tumors, 23 for Alzheimer's disease, 17 for stroke, 16 for pain, 15
for Parkinson's disease, 12 for multiple sclerosis, 11 for epilepsy, 10
for migraine headache, 5 for sleep disorders, and 4 each for head injury
and ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease.

Nice but I found this less than earth shaking so
I went to Pharma's search page at:
http://www.phrma.org/search/

I tried typing   Parkinson   in their Search box and got 92 "hits".
including Walter's story at...
http://www.phrma.org/archive/annual97/stories/walter.html

I'll look some more later.... murray