To Bob Fink and Chris van der Linden

Bob Fink did PWPs a service by reporting on the symposium he attended. It is always interesting to see other points of view expressed from the one you are familiar with.

It is certainly an anomaly that Canada and Europe are ahead of the USA in DBS. You haven’t commented on the Canadian experience, presumably because you are not familiar with it. The Toronto Western Hospital is one of the premier neuroscience sites in North America and they do a lot of clinical and research work on Parkinson’s Disease.

Your comment: "We can talk on this network ... much long-term hope" I consider patronising to those list members who soldier on with little or no assistance, inadequate medical-surgical resources to draw upon and don’t know what to make of a new and bothersome symptom. The list helps them a great deal.

I think we who have had, as I have, pallidotomy and pallidal DBS have a second chance at life often forget that we are members of an elite subset of Parkinsonians - fewer than 1/20 of 1% have had any neurosurgery for PD.. We should be thankful for our good fortune and not deliver ex cathedra pronunciamentos on the state of drug or surgical therapy.

Bill

To Bob Fink and Chris van der Linden

Bob Fink did PWPs a service by reporting on the symposium he attended. It is always interesting to see other points of view expressed from the one you are familiar with.

It is certainly an anamoly that Canada and Europe are ahead of the USA in DBS. You haven’t commented on the Canadian experience, presumably because you are not familiar with it. The Toronto Western Hospital is one of the premier neuroscience sites in North America and they do a lot of clinical and research work on Parkinson’s Disease.

Your comment: "We can talk on this network ... much long-term hope" I consider patonising to those list members who soldier on with little or no assistance, inadequate medical-surgical resources to draw upon and don’t know what to make of a new and bothersome symptom. The list helps them a great deal.

I think we who have had, as I have, pallidotomy and pallidal DBS and have a second chance at life often forget that we are members of an elite subset of Parkinsonians - fewer than 1/20 of 1% have had any neurosurgery for PD.. We should be thankful for our good fortune and not deliver ex cathedra pronunciamentos on the state of drg or surgical therapy.

Bill