Grace this is audrey a friend of a pwp who lives 10000 miles away in australia.  I know how he is only through what he is willing to tell me .. He has had it for around 8 years and was diagnosed a few years later.. that seems to be how it is for pd.  He still is able to work standing on his feet in a nuclear medical lab and outside of his tremors which bother him a lot and cramps that waken him at night... he functions as a bread winner for his family.  His mind is clear and he is easy to be around * for a man* his meds are adjusted to help with the tremors and the nausea he has too.. Maybe others would be a better source for the future that you may face.. I know each one is different and each pwp has a different set of symptoms and alot in common as well.. I hope I have given you accurate information grace.. I know only too well how it feels to be presented with a condition as you have been now.. the best thing I might suggest is to read all the information that you are given by your local doctor, and then get on the net and read everything that you can find on legitimate medical sites .. information about pd is difficult to face but it is essential to know if you are to be a help in the time to come.. good luck ..and before I forget grace, take care of you as this is the best thing you can do for you and for your husband too..

audrey

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]>Grace Hurlbut
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2000 1:57 PM
Subject: symptoms of PD

Hello,  My name is Grace and my husband, Frank, who is 70 years old, was diagnosed with Parkinson's in July.  He probably had it for 3 or 4 years before it was diagnosed.  I'm worried about our future.  Today in the Chicago Tribune, my husband found this letter.
    "The decision of Michael J. Fox to leave the successful sitcom Spin City brings joy to many who are afflicted with Parkinson's Disease.  My family has witnessed this awful disease firsthand.  It starts slowly, invading the body with muscle pain and mild tremors.  Then it steadily takes away one's ability to walk, sleep, think and eat.  Michael J. Fox must know this.  That's why he's planning to spend a good deal of his time raising money for research.  For, without the research, there will be no cure.
     It's too late for Pope John Paul, Rev. Billy Graham, Mohammed Ali and my mother.  Let's hope it's not too late for Mr. Fox.  May his compassion and courage be an example to others."
    The description of Parkinson's that was used in this letter is what is scaring me.  Does Parkinson's take away one's ability to walk, sleep, think and eat.  I know I'm especially worried about taking a person's ability to think away.  How much does Parkinson's affect the mind?